1. Remove Giblets if any. Stuff the Turkey from the neck end (not the cavity). Cover the Turkey skin with soft butter and season with salt & pepper.
2. For improved juiciness place the turkey into the roasting dish Breast side down, for the first half of the cooking time and breast side up for the second half. Cover the turkey with tinfoil (shiny side in) and transfer to the oven. (preheated 200°c/400°f Gas mark 6)
3. Baste the turkey with the juices of the roasting dish at least twice during cooking time esp. when turning the turkey.
4. To check if the turkey is cooked using a meat thermometer. Push the needle in to the deepest part of the breast until you hit bone then pull it back slightly and it should read 74/75°c. Without a thermometer insert a knife where the leg joins the body and if the juices run clear the bird is cooked.
5. Once the turkey is cooked cover it with a clean tea towel and allow to stand 15 – 20 mins. before carving.
For Turkey Breast:
Reduce temperature to 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5 and roast for 20 minutes per lb (450g). For the final 20 minutes, uncover and increase the heat to 200°C, 400°F, gas mark 6. To tell if the turkey is cooked, pierce the thickest part of the breast with a skewer then press the skewer against the breast to see if the juices run clear without any trace of pink – if the juices are clear, the turkey is cooked.
How to cook The Butcher’s Block poultry products
Always preheat the oven (220°C,425°F,Gas Mark 7) for 10- 15 minutes before placing products in the oven..